Our values are like rails that guide us in our evolution, both on a private and professional level. Taking the time to define them, and even to revisit them regularly, is therefore essential. Here are a few tips for performing the exercise.
About four years ago, I had defined my values as sharing, learning and progress. After some interesting meetings and discussions, they evolved into reliability, co-elevation, friendship and conviviality. Follow these steps should you want to do the same.
- Identify all the values that are important to you. Try to list at least 25 of them.
- Group together those that are similar or include each other (e.g., trust and honesty, sharing and friendliness, etc.).
- Play with intersections to combine some (I merged learning, progress and sharing into co-elevation).
- Ideally pick between 3 to 5 of them.
- Do a check by asking yourself if you are missing some critical values according to the objectives you are aiming at. I am thinking for example of a company whose founders, rather introverted, wished after a few years to develop at the international level. It was without success until they redid the exercise and included audacity. They then hired corresponding profiles to complete their team and success happened.
- Finally, make them visible and use them to prioritize your actions and goals.
Feel free to contact me should you have any question or comment !
Un avis sur « REVISITING OUR VALUES »